FAQ - 2020

You must first determine if a court appearance is required. You may do this by accessing the Bail Schedule located on this website’s main menu. Many traffic tickets can be taken care of without a courtroom appearance either through the mail or at the Justice Court payment window.

You may make a payment in several different ways:

  1. You may send a cashier’s check or money order payable to the Davis County Justice Court to our address. Please ensure that your citation number or case number are printed clearly on the payment. If you don’t have those numbers, please make sure your name is written legibly on the payment.
  2. You may also  pay online using a credit card or Visa check card. There is a convenience fee charge to you to use this service. The rate varies and you will be informed of it before you authorize the payment.
  3. You may pay by cash, cashier’s check, money order or business check at our payment window. You may also pay with a credit or debit card at our window with a minimal convenience fee. Our window does not close for lunch and our clerks are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We are closed on all major holidays, except Columbus Day.
If you wish to have a receipt sent to you, you will need to send a self-addressed, stamped envelope along with your payment. If you pay by mail or by using a credit card on-line or over the phone, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you contact the court at least 1 week after paying to make sure your case was closed.

You can  pay online using a credit card or Visa check card. If the ticket does not come up on your search, then wait a few days and try accessing again, as it can take up to 7 days for a ticket to appear on our system. Please make sure to select our Court in the drop down menu for Courts to ensure proper payment and that your name appears. Once you select the ticket and pay, the payment update is immediate. The case will be closed the following day.

If it has been more than 7 days since you received the ticket and it still isn’t coming up on the search, please contact the court.


You may appear in person at the Justice Court payment window at 800 W State Street Farmington, Utah.

Please be aware a processing fee is assessed when using each of these services. You will be notified of the fee before your payment is accepted. You will also need a citation or case number.

Currently, the Davis County Justice Court does not offer traffic school. You may attend the National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving Course if you wish which usually results in a reduction of 50 points being removed from your Utah driving record. Their address is: http://utahsafetycouncil.org/

This Court does not currently authorize traffic courses in other states for any defendant who has an out of state driver’s license in order to keep the ticket off their record. Please contact your state DMV for any questions you may have about how your ticket will affect your record.

The court does offer a plea in abeyance option which would allow you to keep the points from going on your driving record. To see if you qualify you can contact the court Monday - Friday between 9AM - 3PM.  

Any considerations to be given to a defendant in keeping a ticket from showing on your record must be authorized by the prosecutor’s office and the Judge. In order to do this, you must set a court date. Further instructions will be given in court.

If your charges are non-mandatory, you may enter a plea at the window or through the mail with the Non-Appearance Rights. Please be sure to READ the form in it’s ENTIRETY as you will be held accountable to it’s contents when you come to your trial. If you wish to fax the form in, please make sure your information is filled in completely and is readable. You may fax it to (801) 451-4481. If you are mailing the form in, you will receive a trial date notice in the mail at which your appearance is required. If you fail to receive a trial date notice within about three (3) weeks, please contact the court.

If your charges are mandatory, you must set a court date in order to enter a not guilty plea. Please contact the court within your 14 days in order to set an arraignment court date.

If your charge is mandatory appearance required, then you need to schedule a court date. You may access the State Bail Schedule on this website to assist you in determining if you need to set a court date. If you are unable to determine if you need a court date, please contact the court to assist you.
Public defenders may be appointed for indigent defendants by the court on a case by case basis. There may also be other limited reasons that a public defender could be granted. At your hearing, you may ask the Judge about a public defender to see if your case qualifies. 
If you live farther South than Utah County, or are located out-of-state, and it would be a financial hardship to appear, you may request the Judge to waive your mandatory court appearance by voluntarily forfeiting the bail. In order to do this, you must fill out and send the following to the court within fourteen (14) days from the violation date:

  1. Non-Appearance Rights form: It is important that you read this document in its ENTIRETY and sign only one (1) line at the bottom. If you sign both lines, you are contradicting your request and the form will be returned to you. We must receive this form to process your request!
  2. Right to Counsel form: It is important that you read this document in its ENTIRETY and indicate in the check-boxes your intent regarding counsel. We must receive this form to process your request!
  3. Enhancement form: Please be aware there are certain charges which require an Enhancement form to be signed and sent along with the prior two forms. To determine if you need an Enhancement form, please access the underlined link at the first of this paragraph and review the charges listed to see if you need to sign and send one. If one is needed, it is important that you read the document(s) in its (their) ENTIRETY and sign your name. We must receive this (these) form(s), if required, in order to process your request!
  4. Fingerprint Card: There are some charges that require a 10-fingerprint card be submitted to the court along with the above documents. Please contact the court to determine if your charges require a fingerprint card. If they do, please submit one card if your fingerprints are done by live scan (placing your hand on glass). However, if your fingers are rolled in ink, it will be necessary to submit two cards instead of one. This increases the chances of viable fingerprints being received.
  5. Payment of Bail: You must pay the required full amount of bail AND send the forms above in order to complete your request. If bail is not received, your request will be denied.
If you need more time to complete these items, please contact the Court immediately.

The request for voluntary bail forfeiture is reviewed by the prosecutor and then the Judge. Please contact the court within two weeks from sending your request to determine the outcome of your request.
Pursuant to Rule 4-704(1) of the Code of Judicial Administration, the clerks are allowed to give a short extension on payments of bail or fines. Please contact the court to see if you can receive an extension.
You must set a court date if you are in need of a payment plan. Payment plans are authorized by the Judge. Partial payments are not accepted. Contact the court to set a court date.
Please contact the Driver’s License Division about questions concerning your license at (801) 965-4437 or toll free at (800) 222-0038. If it is determined that your license is suspended and you need further action from the court, please obtain a court case number so we may better assist you.

You may access the Court’s State Bail Schedule for information on bail amounts set by the State of Utah. Please be sure to access the bail schedule for the Justice Courts.

Please be aware that any charge requiring a mandatory court appearance will need to be addressed by the Court.

You may contact our court between the hours of 9-3pm Monday through Friday in order to determine if you have a warrant. Please be aware that the warrant will not be recalled until payment is received in full. You may set a court date, but the warrant remains active until either the bail is paid or you have been seen by a Judge. If you feel you have warrants in other courts, you may contact them individually or call the Bureau of Criminal Identification at (801) 965-4437 seven days a week, 24 hours a day. They will provide you with the name of the Court to contact, the case and warrant number. Please make sure you have a pen and paper ready before you call.

If you have received a letter from Driver’s License Division, it is imperative that you act accordingly. Often you have a limited amount of time in which to avoid some type of action being taken on your license. Please contact Driver’s License Division at (801) 965-4437 or toll free at (800) 222-0038 for any questions you may have which are not answered in the letter.

If the letter directs you to contact the court, please contact us immediately at (801) 451-4488 so we may assist you.

Please refer to the Utah Driver Handbook for points assessed on certain violations or you may also contact Driver’s License Division directly at (801) 965-4437 or toll free (800) 222-0038.

Pursuant to 53-3-216, you are required to change your driver’s license address within ten (10) days of your move. If you possess a commercial driver’s license, you must change your address within thirty (30) days and you must do it in person at Driver’s License Division.

For this and any other driver’s license related questions, you may access the Driver’s License FAQ section at http://www.driverlicense.utah.gov/faq.html

The Defensive Driving Course can be taken once in a 3 year period for a reduction of 50 points off your Utah driving record, along with some other benefits. For more information on this course, please access the following: http://utahsafetycouncil.org/
The expungement process can be made easy by following a few simple steps. Most of your questions can be answered by doing this and will help eliminate confusion and back-tracking:
  1. Please review the State of Utah's Certificate of Eligibility and submit an application to the Department of Public Safety's Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) for your Certificate of Eligibility before proceeding to step 2.
  2. Once you have applied for and received your Certificate of Eligibility, please print the Expungement Packet and follow the convenient instructions.
We are located in the Davis Judicial Complex at 800 West State Street in Farmington, Utah 84025 | Courtroom #2. 

You can find a map here