The Environmental Health Services Division receives a large number of complaints regarding housing issues. The Davis County Health Department enforces the Board of Health Housing Regulation. To submit a housing compliant click here.

Frequently Asked Questions

What housing or residential area issues can the Health Department address?

We have a Board of Health (BOH) Housing Regulation.  It applies to all residential areas in Davis County and addresses:

Water Hygiene and Sanitation

Potable Water Supply
Plumbing System
Plumbing Fixtures, including Hot Water
Wastewater Discharges

Minimum Dwelling Standards
Indoor Air Quality – Quantifiable Nuisances
Unit Enclosure Integrity
Finish Surfaces, including Water Intrusion
Lead Based Paint

Hazard and Nuisance Abatement
Hazardous Gases and Materials
Infestations, including Harborage Issues
Nuisance Odors (see FAQ)
Stagnant Water
Natural Disaster Clean-up
Vacant Units

Solid Waste Control:  Domestic Animals

For other issues not addressed by our BOH Housing Regulation contact the responsible entity:

Responsible Entity

Agricultural Animals or Other Zoning Issues

Local Zoning Official or Code Enforcement Officer

Auto Vehicles in Yard
Are they solid waste, leaking hazardous waste, or creating vector harborage?

No. Local Zoning Official or Code Enforcement Officer

Barking Dogs

Local Animal Control Agency – 801.444.2200

Business Activities in Residential Areas
Licensed or Unlicensed.

Local Zoning Official or Code Enforcement Officer

Crowing Roosters

Local Zoning Official or Code Enforcement Officer


Utah Labor Commission, Fair Housing Program

Overgrown Yard or Weeds.

Local Zoning Official or Code Enforcement Officer

Unsafe Buildings, Garages, Sheds, etc.

Local Building Official or Code Enforcement Officer

What residential area services can you provide?

For residential area hazards, nuisances, nuisance odors, and solid waste issues, we will inspect and take appropriate enforcement action, against the owner, if the person responsible cannot be determined.

What housing services can you provide?

We may do an inspection and provide documentation of findings or conditions in a unit limited by our available equipment and training.  Professionals (e.g. industrial hygienists, mold specialists) may provide additional services.

What equipment and test capabilities do you have?

Item Tested

Dräger Analyzers

Ammonia (NH3), Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Carbon Monoxide (CO), Chlorine (Cl2), Hydrochloric Acid (HCl), Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S), Nitrous fumes (HNO3), Petroleum Hydrocarbons (TPH) (CnH2n+2), Phosphine (PH3), Sulphur Dioxide (SO2)

FLIR Infrared

Temperature variance below the Finish Surfaces.

Four Gas Analyzers

Oxygen (O2), CO, H2S or sewer gas, VOCs or combustible gases.

Geiger Counters

Alpha, Beta, and Gamma radiation.

Particulate Matter Tester

PM 2.5, PM 10

pH Strips

Acidity or Alkalinity


See the Radon FAQ

My neighbor is a hoarder, who do I call?

Responsible Entity

Are children living in the unit?

Utah Division of Child and Family Services - 801.538.4171

Are disabled adults or seniors living in the unit?

Utah Division of Aging and Adult Services - 801.538.4171

Does the debris inside the unit create a fire hazard?

Local Fire Marshall or Code Enforcement Officer

Can you smell nuisance odors off the owner’s property?

See the Nuisance Odors FAQ

Contact Information

Physical Address
22 South State Street
2nd Floor
Clearfield, Utah 84015

Mailing Address
Davis County Health Department
Environmental Health Services Division
P.O. Box 618
Farmington, Utah 84025

Phone Numbers
(801) 525-5100 :: Main
(801) 525-5119 :: Fax

Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (except legal holidays)

Healthy Choices | Healthy People | Healthy Communities

Copyright © 2015 Davis County Government